Pol parties, civil orgs condemn visa restrictions on Rev Franklin Graham

Dimapur, November 30 (MExN): Political parties and a civil society organisation have voiced strong objections and concern over the Government of India’s decision to deny an entry visa to Rev. Franklin Graham, who had been scheduled to address a public gathering in Kohima on November 30.

The Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) alleged that the Union Ministry of Home Affairs’ “last-minute, selective relaxation” of the Protected Area Permit (PAP) for the Hornbill Festival exposes a “discriminatory political agenda” of the BJP-led government. It stated that the visa decision “proves that its initial use to block Rev. Franklin Graham was a deliberate act of religious discrimination against a prominent Christian leader.”

The NPCC said the move “is a profound betrayal that the MHA has chosen to stage a cosmetic concession for tourists while adamantly upholding the discriminatory visa ban against Rev. Graham,” calling it “a deliberate slap in the face to every citizen of Nagaland.” The party added that it will not allow what it termed “a grave assault on our religious freedom and political dignity to be whitewashed.”

In a separate appeal, the National People’s Party (NPP) wrote to the Minister of External Affairs on November 29 urging a review of the visa denial. The letter from National Working President James P. K. Sangma said that the cancellation of Graham’s visit due to “visa restrictions/unforeseen visa-related circumstances beyond their control” has caused disappointment among “thousands of faithful who had prepared for weeks for this spiritually significant event.”

The NPP highlighted the long association between Nagaland and the Graham family and cautioned that disallowing a peaceful religious programme “risks creating misunderstanding and alienation” in a region with a substantial Christian majority. It said granting permission would “send a powerful message of India’s commitment to religious freedom and inclusiveness.”

Meanwhile, the Nagaland Transparency Public Rights Advocacy and Direct Action Organization (NTPRADAO) expressed “deep disappointment” over the decision, saying it has created “unnecessary misunderstanding” and affected the sentiments of Christians in general and the Naga community in particular. The organisation said India’s ethos of Atithi Devo Bhava reflects respect for visitors and urged that the matter be reviewed in line with Article 25 of the Constitution. It noted that “foreign tourists are generally permitted to attend religious ceremonies, and we see no reason why Rev. Franklin Graham should be an exception.”

NTPRADAO said facilitating the visit would promote “interfaith harmony” and strengthen international friendship and understanding, while urging that visa policies encourage cultural exchange and religious tolerance.
 



Support The Morung Express.
Your Contributions Matter
Click Here