MoS for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Nimuben Jayantibhai Bambhaniya (Centre), flanked by the Deputy Commissioner (left), Dimapur, addressing the media in Chümoukedima, on February 21. (Morung Photo)
Morung Express News
Chümoukedima | February 21
The Union Minister of State (MoS) for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Nimuben Jayantibhai Bambhaniya said that the Government of India is focused on making the north-eastern states self-reliant. According to the MoS, the national food security programme, also known as Public Distribution System, is a key component in this objective.
Bambhaniya landed in Nagaland on a 3-day visit to Dimapur on February 20. She made the comment at a press conference at the Nagaland Police Complex, Chümoukedima, on February 21, following a review meeting with state government officials on the implementation of central government schemes. She said that she visited Anganwadis, health centers, schools, and Fair Price Shops, alongside interactions with local beneficiaries and village councillors in the district.
“Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, we give free rations to 80 crore beneficiaries. This is the world's largest food programme,” Bambhaniya stated.
The MoS also focused on economic empowerment through Self-Help Groups (SHGs). According to her, around 1.25 crore women across the country have achieved the status of ‘Lakhpati Didis,’ with the Union government aiming to increase this figure to 3 crore.
“It is Modi’s vision to strengthen women's power of the country today, to give them a platform, and our government is working hard to make women Lakhpati Didis,” she added.
While stating that special emphasis has been placed on the ‘Vocal for Local’ initiatives, she said that New Delhi’s goal is to establish the quality of Indian products globally. She added that local products from Dimapur, including handicrafts, handlooms, and agricultural goods should reflect the ‘Make in India’ objective to establish quality at a global level.
The MoS reiterated the government’s commitment to the ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas’ mantra, stating that skill development for youth and women remains a priority for the region’s progress.
No FPS ration since Jan
Contrasting the Minister of State (MoS) for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Bambhaniya’s praises for the Modi government’s free food-for-the-poor programme; Fair Price Shops (FPS) have remained shut in Dimapur since January. It has had beneficiaries deprived of their monthly quota for almost two months (January and February). The last distribution was in December 2025.
The unexplained pause in distribution was attributed to the “stockiest” unilaterally terminating the supply contract. Citing the District Civil Supplies officer, Deputy Commissioner, Dimapur, Dr Tinojongshi Chang disclosed at the press conference that the stockiest terminated his contract in December.
Cause for the sudden annulment was not revealed. “It was not by the government, but the stockiest himself decided to terminate the contract. That is what we are informed by the department (Food & Civil Supplies),” the DC said.
As a result, the DC explained that the quota for January could not be distributed. However, he added that a new stockiest has been engaged and distribution will resume soon. “They have already lifted (the shipment) for both January and February,” he said, while stating that distribution had already started in Padum Pukhuri on February 20.