800 gm heroin, 6 arrests
Morung Express News
Dimapur | August 20
The Mon police have claimed to have wrecked a drug supply chain following what it labelled as the “biggest anti-drug operation so far.” “Mon Police has successfully busted an inter-state drug trafficking network and seized approximately 800 grams of heroin, locally referred to as ‘Shan Flower,” stated a press release by the Mon police on August 20.
The arrests operation over three days, on August 19 and 20, conducted in coordination with the Charaideo police in Sonari, and the Dimapur police. It resulted in the arrests of six individuals, including three women. The consignment was being transported from Mon to Dimapur via Sonari, Assam.
The initial three arrests in Mon included one woman. The two men were identified as Nokteih and Pulei. Their arrests on August 19 led the Mon police across the state border to Sonari where one man identified as Md Taher Hussain was arrested the same day. The trail led to Dimapur from where two women were arrested on August 20. Hussain was to drop off the consignment to the two women.
According to the release, the operation was carried out under the supervision of the Director General of Police and Anti-Narcotics Task Forces (ANTF) of Assam and Nagaland, and with close coordination and support from Assam Police and Dimapur Police. “Mon Police believes that the successful dismantling of this network will send a strong message to those involved in drug trafficking and related activities,” it said.
Mon Police appealed to the general public to continue supporting the fight against drugs. It sought any information regarding drug trafficking— financers, mule accounts, carriers, couriers or transporters, or about those involved in storage or sale; adding that the identity of informants will be kept confidential.
It have urged family members, friends, and well-wishers of drug-users to contact the Nagaland Police, either in person or through social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and X (formerly Twitter). According to the police, this will aid in disrupting drug supply chains and prevent illegal substances from reaching those struggling with addiction.
It is suspected that the consignment originated from across the international border. Citing available information, a police official told The Morung Express that the “supply chain” or the individuals, who were arrested, were frequent drug runners. “The target is to catch the main supplier,” the official said, while adding, “We are expecting few more arrests in the case.”